Wednesday, December 24, 2014

"I Believe: The Meaning of Christmas and the Baby Who Started It All" by JoAnne Simmons



{Congratulations to Loraine E. for winning an e-copy of “The Fruitcake Challenge”! The Author, Carrie Fancett Pagels, will be in touch with you soon!}
{Also, fun note, this is our 200th blog post on ‘Books for Christian Girls’!}
{Merry CHRISTmas everyone! Every Monday, Wednesday & Friday in honor of our Savior’s birth there’ll be a new Christmas book review! With a couple giveaways sprinkled in, it’s going to be so much fun! Hard to believe that tomorrow is Christmas! I think I’m ready… ;)}

About this book:

  “Christmastime brings out the believer in all of us…
  Discover the many aspects of faith surrounding the holiday season as you dig deeper into the meaning of Christmas—how the Christ child fulfilled traditions around the world, stories behind beloved Christmas carols, and the history of treasured Christmas traditions.
  This year, take a moment to experience your faith rooted in festive, holy tradition and celebrate the baby named Jesus, the One who started it all.”


Series: Non-fiction.


Spiritual Content- 85 Scriptures are quoted; 60 Scriptures are referenced; ‘H’s when talking about God are capital; This while book is about Christmas & Believing in Jesus.


Negative Content- There are, of course, mentions of King Herod having all the baby boys killed (That Scripture is quoted and lightly hit on)


Sexual Content- There are, of course, mentions of the virgin birth & Joseph keeping Mary a virgin till after Jesus was born. (Those Scriptures are quoted)  

Non-Fiction
                                                        160 pages

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Pre Teens-

{Might be a little deep for this age; Best read with an adult.}
New Teens-

{Might be a little deep for this age; Best read with an adult.}
Early High School Teens- 

Older High School Teens-

My personal Rating- 

This was a good, little book. But, it took me a while to finish it because I was looking up Scriptures, quoting & talking about different parts with my Mom and listening to carols that were talked about.
You’re probably wondering why I gave it four stars, let me tell you why. First, the author obviously doesn’t want to focus on herself (which I liked that part, the focus shouldn’t be on her but what she’s talking about) but because her name is only on the copyright page (and Goodreads page) it allows your mind to hear the writing in your head by a voice you can imagine saying it. (does that make any sense?) Second, at some points that “voice” reading this Non-Fiction to me sounded like Kirk Cameron. Which really wasn’t a good thing. I saw his new Christmas movie (my Mom wanted to support him, a Christian in Hollywood, which I understand.). As a YouTuber for almost five years now, I have a pretty good idea on Film & Videography. (Needless to say, I was cringing at the style of the movie and close-ups.) I also did not agree with anything he said, all of it came across as twisting & tolerance. But I digress; this is not a review for that movie.
I didn’t feel that way with “I Believe: The Meaning of Christmas and the Baby Who Started It All.” till near the end, when the author talked about the song “The Twelve Days of Christmas” being a teaching tool of when the Catholic faith was illegal in England. Some of the tie-ins were kinda okay, but day eight made me scratch me head: (Eight maids a-milking represent how Jesus came to save everyone, even those in lowly positions like milkmaids {Which I have no doubt about but I’m kinda confused on why they picked it.}) The other ones make better sense.
I also am not a fan of NIV or ESV version Bibles because the ‘H’s when talking about God are not capital! (I use NASB, which is wonderful.) Because also every Scripture is NIV, that lowered my ratings as well.      


This was the last review of the Christmas Month! Wow! I hope y’all found some good, Christmas reads during this month! And just a notification, we will be blogging tomorrow! Yes, on Christmas! We have a fun post for y’all! :)


*BFCG may (Read the review to see) recommend this book by this author. It does not mean I recommend all the books by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment