Wednesday, June 24, 2015

"Heartless" by Anne Elisabeth Stengl



 About this book:

  “The Dragon King Seeks His Princess—
  Who Dares to Stop Him?
  Princess Una of Parumvir has come of age and will soon marry. She dreams of a charming prince, but when her first suitor arrives, he's not what she'd hoped. Prince Aethelbald of mysterious Farthestshore has travelled a great distance to prove his love--and also to bring hushed warnings of danger. A dragon is rumored to be on the hunt and blazing a path of terror.
  Una, smitten instead with a more dashing prince, refuses Aethelbald's offer--and ignores his cautions with dire consequences. Soon the Dragon King himself is in Parumvir and Una, in giving her heart away unwisely, finds herself in his sights. Only those courageous enough to risk everything have a hope of fighting off this advancing evil.”



Series: Book #1 of the “Tales of Goldstone Wood” series.


Spiritual Content- This is an Allegory. More in the Final Thoughts.
*Note: a “ugly as sin”, a “devil’s carnival” and a “Go to the hell prepared for you”; Fortune reading; Mentions of sacrifices.


Negative Content- Minor cussing including: a ‘biddy’, two ‘stupid’s, two ‘wench’s, three forms of ‘idiot’; Many curses are said but not written; Nightmares (semi-detailed); Dragons & fighting (semi-detailed to detailed); Blood (up to semi-detailed); Dead people (barely-above-not-detailed); Mentions of hunting dogs & dead dogs; Mentions of drinking & wine; Mentions of gambling.


Sexual Content- a barely-above-not-detailed kiss and a barely-above-not-detailed forehead kiss; Many, many, many mentions of marriage, suits & romance; A mention of a dragon mating and laying an egg (but that’s not where dragons come from); A little bit of Love, falling in love, & the emotions. 

-Princess Una, 18
                                        P.O.V. mainly of Una’s (but a few others as well)
                                                        363 pages

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Pre Teens- 
New Teens-
(and a half)
Early High School Teens- 
Older High School Teens-
My personal Rating-
(and a half)
Before I read this book I knew three things about it: it’s an Allegory/fantasy, has dragons and the fandom has really interesting drawings! Now, three confessions:
  1. This was my first time reading an allegory. (I’ve never read the Narnia series, I know, I know, I should, but I’m just not one for mythical creatures.) {Read the Allegory theory that I referred to for this book Here!}
  2. I’m not big on dragons, so this was very interesting! Plus that the dragons were evil?! And seeing all the fan drawings from this series made me wonder just what is in this series! (Really interesting fandom this series has! ;) )
  3. I actually enjoyed this novel! I went in curious and wondering about how the Allegory plays in and turned out liking it. Is anyone a teeny bit shocked? :)

“Heartless” was different and a little weird (keep in mind that I’m normally into Historicals) but it was a good different and weird. I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the series and possibly joining the fan base. We’ll see. ;)


See y’all on Friday with a new review!


*BFCG may (Read the review to see) recommend this book by this author. It does not mean I recommend all the books by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment