“Sarah Morgan's latest mystery arrives at Heavenly Presents along with her old friend Renee Torres, who brings a stunning quilt that belonged to her recently deceased aunt. Together, they realize that this Baltimore album quilt includes pieces from a famous nineteenth-century artist, Emily Deveau―meaning the value of the piece just skyrocketed! What was such a precious item doing in Renee's aunt's possession?
News of the quilt spreads quickly throughout Port Huron. Soon Sarah finds herself not only researching its history, but also helping Renee protect it from those who are desperate to get their hands on it. Sarah discovers a tale of deception and betrayal that takes her all the way back to the 1893 World's Fair.
It's a race against time―and a mysterious adversary―to find the answers Sarah and her friend seek.”
Series: Book #3 in the “Gift Shop Mysteries” series. Reviews of Book #1 Here and Book #2 Here!
Spiritual Content- Daniel 2:22 at the beginning; A couple Scriptures are mentioned & remembered; A few prayers & Thanking God; A hymn; ‘H’s are capital when referring to God; Mentions of God; Mentions of prayers, praying, & blessings over food; A few mentions of churches & a minister; A few mentions of blessings & being blessed; A couple mentions of seeing a deceased loved one on the other “side of eternity”; A mention of a Christian’s duty to help others; A mention of a devotional;
*Note: A few things (food and places) are described as “heavenly”; Mentions of luck & being lucky.
Negative Content- Minor cussing including: a ‘dumb’; Some eye rolling; A funeral for a loved one & grief (Victoria for her father, up to semi-detailed); Many mentions of break-ins, crime scenes, intruders/prowlers, thefts, thieves, & stolen items; Mentions of deaths, sicknesses, & grief; Mentions of attacks (including someone being locked in a closet), injuries, & pain; A mention of gambling;
*Note: Many mentions of men taking credit for women’s designs (paintings and architecture) and also from other men in their firms that are lower in status (in the historical time period); Mentions of others’ expectations for a woman to leave her career when she gets married (in the historical time period); Mentions of historical figures; Mentions of car brands; Mentions of brand names (Formica & Cracker Jacks).
Sexual Content- a cheek kiss; Some noticing & touches (barely-above-not-detailed); A blush; Mentions of dates & dating; A mention of flirting.
-Sarah Morgan, age 41
P.O.V. mostly of Sarah
Mostly contemporary, but also twelve parts from 1893-1895
271 pages
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Pre Teens-
New Teens-
Early High School Teens-
Older High School Teens-
My personal Rating-
I admit that I was interested in the quilt aspect of this mystery as I’ve recently started sewing and working on quilts! I kept expecting the famous quilt to be stolen in this book, so I read this story with some anxiety over it happening, haha. 😅
Like the first book in this series, I didn’t love the historical parts—in this book, it was mainly because how Victoria was treated. The love interest made those scenes not happy to read and I was always glad when those sections were over. I was glad things ended well for her, but I didn’t like the emphasis about proclaiming women’s arts over men’s (just because of their gender) & about men stealing women’s designs as it felt a little off and biased against the men. While some men may have done that with the women being unaware or not wanting that in the time period, I think there’s also female artists that created not for publicity and just for their own enjoyment. The historical parts soured the book’s plot for me, personally.
“Embroidering the Truth” is only book three in this series, however, it has the second time so far in this series where Sarah’s shop is broken into—I hope that doesn’t become a common occurrence for her in the next books!
See y’all on Wednesday with a new review!
*BFCG may (Read the review to see) recommend this book by this author. It does not mean I recommend all the books by this author.


No comments:
Post a Comment