“Phooey Kerflooey wants to stay on the farm with Jessie. But when Jessie chooses a different puppy, Phooey is thrust into the arms of another family. A family with all boys. Boys who make traps, write lists of dangers, and shout Shakespearean insults at rodents. A family that likes scary things like shiny kitchen floors, wheelchair races, and battling attacking squirrels. A family that doesn’t know she cannot drink unless it is from a fancy, fancy teacup! Can Phooey find the china teacup she needs and teach her boys how to become the family of her dreams?
Theme: Philippians 2:4—“Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.” NLT”
Series: Book #1 in the “Phooey Tales: Spring” series. Parts from this book and the next one in the series are also covered in the book “Phooey Kerflooey” for slightly older readers.
Spiritual Content- Philippians 2:4 at the beginning and end; A few Scriptures are read, mentioned, & remembered; Phooey hears a girl read Scriptures and tries to pay attention to the “long and fancy” words, but thinks that the girl is referring to her fancy teacup that will help her find her perfect family (rather than the Scripture about taking an interest in others); *Spoiler* At the very end, Phooey realizes the meaning of the Scripture, that her fancy teacup won’t help her find a family, and how she’s picked her fancy teacup instead of the boys who picked her *End of Spoiler*; Mentions of God, a Bible, & Scripture;
*Note: A mention of being lucky; A mention of aliens.
Negative Content- Minor cussing including: Phooey is bitten by a squirrel & also has pain and other injuries (up to semi-detailed); Phooey escapes/runs after something, but is returned home; Mentions of pain, injuries, & possibly being cut on something sharp; A few mentions of Phooey’s nightmares about other scary animals like lizards, frogs, and other dangerous creatures that could eat her; A mention of poop;
*Note: Phooey is disappointed when she isn’t picked to stay on the farm and feels hurt later when comparing herself to the puppy that was picked; Conner says Shakespearean insults (a referee at a paintball game tells Conner that “fancy insults are still insults” and reminds him that his parents said he can only say those to “yell at mean dogs, attacking squirrels, and spiders”).
Sexual Content- N/A.
-Phooey Kerflooey
P.O.V. of Phooey
76 pages
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Pre Teens-
New Teens-
Early High School Teens-
Older High School Teens-
My personal Rating-
This book covers some of the events from “Phooey Kerflooey”, but this time told from the cute puppy, Phooey Kerflooey’s, perspective and for younger readers! Since I read that book last year, I already knew about some of the events, but it was good to see what Phooey was getting into while the boys were chasing the squirrel. I’m not usually one for books told in an animal’s voice, but I thought Phooey was very cute, so I enjoyed reading her thoughts in this short book. She has an important lesson to learn in this book that while I wish could have been a little more obvious to get the point across, I think young readers will enjoy this story. :)
See y’all on Wednesday with a new review!
*BFCG may (Read the review to see) recommend this book by this author. It does not mean I recommend all the books by this author.
*I received this book for free from the Author for this honest review.


No comments:
Post a Comment